Sunday 13 February 2011

Saturday treats....

I started my weekend delivery with these Black & White Cupcakes. Very heavily frosted cupcakes don't go down too well at the Coffee Tree - the customers tend to prefer more understated offerings! I thought that these fit the bill perfectly. Beautiful, vanilla sponge on the bottom and dark chocolate ganache poured glossily on top - finished with a gold sugar star..
Simple yet sophisticated? Hopefully they went down well anyway... next was one of my own creations. I call them Glazed Blueberry Bars -

sticky, oaty slices with a tart  fresh blueberry middle and lightly glazed on top (which also stops them from becoming dry.) I love to have plenty of filling so that it oozes slightly when you cut (or bite!) into them..

I always overdo everything slightly because, as regular readers will know, my baking motto (actually my LIFE motto) is 'Too much of a good thing is wonderful....!'

And lastly, with a small nod to Valentine's Day (more of which tomorrow) I baked a yummy Spice Cake with Peanut Buttercream frosting, from Rose Levy Berenbaum's 'Heavenly Cakes' book which I talked about last week...

I love anything with peanuts and it was a change to find something that used them but didn't also contain chocolate (I try and balance things with my Coffee Tree order, so that there's a fruity cake alongside something rich & chocolatey...or a very sweet thing and a savoury one) As you may be able to make out, I sprinkled the top of the cake with some tiny red sugar hearts...

but I warn you now....I won't be so subtle tomorrow!

have a wonderful Sunday xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Rachel, and once again you are making me drool on my keyboard. Can you send over just one of these cupcakes? They look divine!! And Daniel would love that cake - he's a total peanut fan... Happy Sunday to you!! Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally like cakes when they are rich and creamy, don't understand what the customers would not like about them. In any case, I love the chocolate top and would love to try those. And I am really curious about the bluberry bars and the other cake too (with peanuts? How interesting!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, honey, what delicious offerings!! Those lucky, lucky Coffee Tree people!!! Everything looks so heavenly!! How can you top these delectables?? Looking forward to tomorrow!!
    Happy Early Valentine's Day, sweetie pie!! Hugs, Sherry xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hoping that those blueberry bars end up in your cookbook darling! They are just how I love them....over the top!! Or as Morwenna would say, 'Over the Moon! ( I love it when she says that ) Tomorrow...I'm looking forward to what you have in store....try to get some sleep. Knowing you, your mind is 'a tizzy' dreaming up some incredible delectables for tomorrow's delivery!! I hope they get a bigger sign out front for tomorrow alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos. You're right about peanuts and my Kitchenaid is Cherry Red! Keep up the great blogging!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual a fabulous collection. So glad you tried Heavenly Cakes, read mine cover to cover but haven't made anything yet. Her recipes often are needlessly complicated and produce only a single layer. She's tiny so making an 8" cake that serves 12 may make sense to her. I just squint and say huh? Think I'm leaning toward the blueberry one today, but then I did just get up and it would be nicer than the crackers I'm munching on. Then the cupcake for dessert. Oh what a perfect world that would make! Have a fun Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read what you write! Thanks for visiting! xo