Monday 22 January 2018

Behind the brownies....

 I don't normally write personal posts on this blog - I'm not sure anyone wants to read them! You can see a bit 'behind the scenes' on the Sugar Moon Instagram account most days...but I thought I'd write a little bit more personally in this one post for those that ARE interested!
 This is the little 'inspiration display' above my brownie packing table in the kitchen. The slogan postcards are from the Imperial War Museum  - reproductions of actual public information and propaganda messages during WW2. Still words to live by today (although I find that Mondays are the perfect time to take an alcoholic drink myself!!)  There are other cards from small, independent business like Sugar Moon Brownies too...I try and buy from them as much as possible and there are some great ones out there! Oubas Knitwear and Bramley (handmade natural cleansing products) are two in the picture and both recommended!
 I'm a little bit melancholy at the moment...the past couple of months have been difficult on a personal level. The home I was lucky enough to grow up in was sold just before Christmas - it was the right thing to do but after almost 40 years in the family, it was a wrench for us all...

And then, just over a week ago, my darling sister and her three children went back to their home in Australia after living a few doors from me for over a year. The best thing about them going is the peace and quiet. The worst thing is...the peace and quiet! They all brought such joy and fun to our lives and the last few weeks trying to cram in the things we hadn't done (going up The Shard and on the London Eye...the all important trip to the Harry Potter Studios....) as well as packing up a years worth of...LIFE...was incredibly draining. Little things are the hardest. Taking redundant school uniforms to the school office to be re-used...looking up at the clock at 'school run time' (we had the routine down to a fine art!!), our Friday night curry ritual and not buying The Beano every Wednesday...but it will get better.
These three and their Mum have left a big hole behind! So I'm taking a few days off to visit somewhere that always makes me feel better. The house/dog sitter is arranged (thank you Aunty Mary!) and Salzburg and - most importantly - Mozart beckon. 

The kitchen is closed until 30th January - details on our Facebook page and, of course, our homepage. I will return...refreshed, revitalised and excited by all that 2018 has to offer!!

Thank you for reading and - as always - for choosing Sugar Moon Brownies . xx

6 comments:

  1. Those 3 are getting so big! You've changed their lives forever--& yours,too. Mozart had been waiting patiently! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, I had a post written and it became deleted when I didn't choose the 'right' segment below. Anyway, we ALL feel this. Our lives are entangled in similarity and it is so good for you to be sharing. I'm so sorry the home of your childhood was sold, for the passing of your Dad, for the moving of your sister and her children. I'm sorry for the hole of empty that it left but I'm also thrilled that you know what to do with it, to fill it with love and Mozart, and beauty and awareness of all that is YOU. Change is not my favorite thing, other than finding lost change in a coat pocket. Change is scary, intimidating and even good change is unsettling. Stop for a moment and take in the familiar in a city you love. I'm thrilled that I've been there and I'll think of you there, walking where I walked, seeing things I saw and knowing that it is your place of peace. xx Joann Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you Rachel- I truly empathize as we have a big Mary shaped hole here in New York after shipping her off to university in Chester, UK last September. We have gotten used to it, and facetime is amazing, but not the same as making her favorite mango smoothie and veggie wraps regularly for her at home. I hope your trip brings you enormous pleasure! Love, Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you blogging again! I guess this is now your main blog and not Mozartgirl. Your nieces and nephews look adorable! Always hard to leave family, I know how it is, having experienced that myself recently. Even Wolfie finds it hard and misses his grandparents and uncles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Rachel: I feel your struggle, but strong spirit of optimism to adjust to "new things". It's always so hard, isn't it! So glad you can take a brief escape to Salzburg! What a wonderful time awaits you! I'll be praying for great renewal of mind and heart, as well as physical rest and refreshment. Love, Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello friend! I enjoyed reading this post and catching up with you a little. I know how close you and Esther are. Surely your time in Salzburg helped lift your spirits. Sending lots of love and good wishes your way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love to read what you write! Thanks for visiting! xo