Thursday 22 November 2012

Thanksgiving UK-Style!

So here it is...and a hearty HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you celebrating today! Here, of course it's just a regular...grey & blustery...Thursday in November. But I've always thought that it's the sunniest & cheeriest of holidays so we decided to have a Thanksgiving-themed Sunday lunch for friends recently...

I used my Stars & Stripes salt and pepper shakers...
 
 
and the napkins that we picked up on our trip to Martha's Vineyard last year...
 
I made a centrepiece from pomegranates, persimmons & used apples as candle holders, together with glossy green ivy & some rosehips that I picked on our walk that day...

I made cranberry relish, with red wine & port...we roasted two chickens instead of a turkey, but I made Susan Branch's Grandma's famous stuffing, plus nutmeg-scented bread sauce and brussels sprouts tossed with garlic butter, rosemary roasted potatoes....and to finish off, another Sue Branch spectacular...


Pumpkin Cheesecake with a Gingersnap Crust...which I served with home-made caramel sauce & toasted pecan nuts...

Gosh, it was good!! To go with coffee, we had a selection of US chocolate bars...

It was a wonderful meal!
 
The results of the last post mean that next time I shall give you the recipes for Cheese Scones & Parkin....but until then, have a wonderful time wherever you are....eat, drink, relax, be VERY merry and whatever you do...


make very sure that you get some help with the washing up!

Sending love and very many thanks for reading! xoxo

11 comments:

  1. It all sounds delicious Rachel and such a lovely centrepiece. Apart from the pumpkin cheesecake, which I'm now coveting, it does sound rather like a UK Christmas dinner. Just hoping we get some good weather for our holiday season, so we can get some good walks in and relish the food that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum. Before The Girl, I used to make Bill and I a little Thanksgiving meal on the day. Think I'll try to start it up again next year. Ok, it's any excuse to cook a roast during the week!
    Yours looks scrummy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deaest Rachel,
    What a glorious post! I love that you celebrated Thanksgiving lunch in honour of the American Thanksgiving. Everything looks so festive and delicious. Your centrepiece is gorgeous...how creative!
    I just finished making Susan's grandmother's stuffing and cannot believe how delicious it is! I've never had sage stuffing before. What a treat! Thank you for sharing your meal with us. I look forward to the cheese scone recipe! Love and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy that Thanksgiving has caught on in our group and you get to enjoy another day of gluttony American style. Everything looked wonderful. I didn't know you had persimmons there. I thought they were here mainly in CA. I'd never seen them before I came here. Happy Thanksgiving! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you being all American!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful meal Rachel---just looks fanatastic!!!! I truly can't believe it has been a year since you were on MV. My goodness....

    Love to you all...
    XOXO

    Joann in CO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Rachel ... What a wonderful post, especially on our Thanksgiving day!! You did an amazing job setting your table!!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely Thanksgiving meal you prepared--My family's dressing is just like Susan's and we love it so much---Had some today at our family Thanksgiving feast. I would love your cheese scone recipe! xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! Your menu sounds absolutely delicious, Rachel. What a fabulous Thanksgiving feast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Rachael! It's breakfasttime here, but now I am hungry for your wonderful meal! What a delicious spread you prepared. I can't wait to see your next post and get that wonderful recipe! Wishing you Wonderful days ahead as you prepare for Christmas and all of those family birthdays! Georgie xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forgive me, dear Rachel, for not stopping by earlier. Life interrupts! Your feast was marvelous and I just loved all the decorations and I can almost get the aroma of the delicious foods here!! I know you are enjoying having the family together as busy as you are, but I wish you a good rest and a very, very Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!! With much love and hugs, Sherry xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love to read what you write! Thanks for visiting! xo